Friday, February 02, 2007

New Idea - 365 Days of Vinyl

This week, I was thinking of this really cool idea, since I'm now completely consumed by vinyl records and my new turntable. My experience with Zeppelin, Dylan and Beatles has been extrordinary. It really is like discovering them again for the very first time. Anyway, I had this great idea to blog about one record album every day, and chronicle the journey for a full year. 365 Days of Vinyl.

Earlier, I thought of just writing about one album per day, regardless of format. I could just pull out one of the many CDs on my hard drive - MP3's can crawl into a shallow grave and die - but that kinda takes the fun out of it. I have a decent collection of records, but not nearly enough to last a year. I'm going to have to hit the rounds and search around for some hidden gems. That sounds a lot more fun. Like a scavenger hunt.

I've already disvoered some vinyl albums that otherwise have escaped me on digital, so this is already proving a success. I think that's a lot of the fun of it, especially for the younger generation, the kids who never really experienced records up close. We've all been suckered in with the corportist scam that "progress" and "new technology" is inherently better. You've been played for suckers and chumps, by the genius minds that gave you trumped-up conditions like ADHD and pumped you full of soul-killing drugs like Ritalin. We've been robbed of our very souls, the souls that science now tells us doesn't even exist. Fuck them.

You know what would be really cool and groovy fun? If we all started record blogging. Let's all hit the used stores and hip-hop shops and see what's out there. I don't know if any record-a-day blogging has happened yet; almost certainly it's been tried by a few. The nature of this medium just calls out of it. Why not join in on the fun?

And to think that I wanted to collect record albums just to hang them on the wall. Life doesn't deserve to be buried in a museum. It deserves to be alive and free. Therin lies the sermon for today. Go in peace. Coffee and doughnuts in the basement.

No comments: