Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The New Metallica Album - 5 LP's

I've re-written this post about half a dozen times, without ever finding the right way to break this, and find myself going nowhere. This is something that would spark an hourlong discussion in person, but I'll save that for another post. For now, we'll just get to basics.

I checked Metallica's official website devoted to their upcoming studio album. You know, the one that's been in development for a year and a half. A waiting time that long for a band this experienced is never a good sign, at least to my eyes, so I've feared that middle age has finally creeped up on my old favorite rock band from years ago. It happens to everyone. Part of life. Sigh.

So I checked the "Mission Metallica" site in search of any new developments. There was nothing new, beyond a lot of placeholders and promises. I did find one interesting page, however, and I'm frankly surprised that this has flown under the radar.

The release page includes the different formats the album will be released in, which includes CD, digital download, and vinyl LP. It's the vinyl part that grabbed my attention, since I'm a vinyl junkie. So here's the shocker.

The new Metallica album will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl. It will be packed onto five LPs.

It's going to be five records, kids. That's one-two-three-four-five.

It took me a little while to reel that all in. Let me give you the score. All of Metallica's studio albums since Justice have been double LPs. This includes all their 1990's albums which nearly broke the time barrier of CD. Still two records. The new studio album is going to be five.

Good lord. No wonder Metallica has taken so damned long. This is a nice shocker, kids. Do you have any idea what this means? This is comparable to the Load/Reload albums from the mid-'90s, in terms of length. We're talking two or maybe three hours of music.

Chew on that one for a while. Album comes out in September.

1 comment:

michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.