Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Photos - NHLPA Hockey '93 (Genesis)


I've forgotten how much fun the NHL Hockey series on Sega Genesis can be.  Gratuitous violence has never made me laugh so much.  This really was the sports game that made EA's fortune back in the day.  I'm having a lot of fun getting back into the groove, knocking hockey players down, starting fights, causing massive head wounds from cross checks.

Today, it's commonly agreed that NHL '94 is the peak of the series on Genesis, if not the best hockey game ever.  It certainly strikes that crucial balance between the crushing barbarism of the early titles with the more nuanced strategy of later installments.  And one-timers absolutely make the game shine.  That said, I'd like to give a shout-out to the equally brilliant NHLPA '93.  This is the one with the massive head wounds and the fights.  And what more do ya want from video game hockey?

It's really something to see the days when an EA Sports sequel has new features worth noting.  NHLPA '93 lists over 20 additions and improvements over the original 1991 NHL Hockey.  Faster speed, new moves and animations, smarter AI, manual control of goalies, signature moves, shattering the plexiglass, yadda yadda.  I'm really impressed at how much work Hi Score Productions put into these titles.

For me, the first three NHL Hockey games are the best, and these Genesis carts are ridiculously cheap and easy to find, so it's easy to add each one to your library.

1 comment:

OddyOh said...

Well said! I have the '94 theme as my ring tone. ;)