Thursday, May 29, 2014

Project Y - A New Sega Genesis Brawler!



As a dedicated Sega fanboy, I am thrilled and delighted to see video games for my beloved systems continue to arrive all these years later.  The Sega Dreamcast gets most of the attention, but a few indie titles have also appeared on the Sega Genesis.  Project Y (tentatively titled) is the latest and greatest to appear.

Project Y is a classic side-scrolling brawler, features some amazingly detailed and colorful 16-bit graphics, and appears to take many cues from the Streets of Rage series, including adapting SoR3 character sprites, a move which has generated controversy among online circles.  I personally don't have a problem with this; since Project Y's graphics have been so heavily reworked; adapting an existing graphics engine is an affordable way for indie programmers to develop software titles for the Genesis, without all the heavy investments in programming from the ground up.  We forget, all too foolishly, that these indie video games are a labor of love, made with next to no money, and barely earn enough money to pay for the raw materials.  If this title sells 1,000 copies, that would be considered a blockbuster smash hit.

I have my "High Definition Graphics" Model 1 Sega Genesis connected to the Sony Trinitron, and I'm ready to rock.  Today's video game industry is melting down, crumbling into extinction under the weight of sheer incompetence.  You can keep your reruns and franchise sequels that were burned out 15 years ago.  I want something new.  I want real video games again!  And I'll be first in line to grab a cartridge copy of Project Y whenever it is completed.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this beat-em-up is completed and released to the public.

No comments: