Monday, July 03, 2017

Art Gallery: Rape the Environment, Parts I-III




Rape the Environment, Parts I-III (2003)
Digital media

The title for this trilogy was meant to evoke George Orwell's famous slogans from his novel 1984, in light of the George W. Bush administration's mad rush for a war against Iraq in 2003.

The paintings themselves offer a wide evolution in style, and they are numbered in the correct order. Tinkering with the first piece led to the second, which led to the third. I liked the solid color tones in blue and grey on Part I, which reminded me of the Sega Genesis. Part II has this cool translucent look that feels aquatic and maybe a bit alien. Part III is the boldest and brightest, but also the trippiest. I really like the purple color variations.

I should probably state for the record that I was stone cold sober when I created these.

No comments: