Thursday, June 07, 2007

More Batsugun Screenshots





I'm getting better with the digital camera. It's a real trick to pull off this way, the old-fashioned way. These days it's much easier to connect to your PC and take pictures that way. I remember back when I started freelancing for Gamepro in 1994. Finding a way to take screenshots was a daunting challenge. I hunted around the UMD campus' computer department for someone who knew how to help me. No luck.

I think I eventually hooked up the consoles to the VCR and just record to tape. Yuck. What a pain. You kids today have it easy.

Anyway, more pics of Toaplan's shooter Batsugun on Sega Saturn. I forgot to mention that the game also includes an "arranged mode," which alters all the background colors and significantly ups the difficulty. As if this wasn't a tough enough shooter as it was.

As you can see, the vivid color and detail is simply amazing. It's easy for people to become visually jaded, and this is never more true than in videogames. Saturn's abundance of shmups, and the advances of technology, make it easy to dismiss the striking work of the many artists who demonstrate their considerable skills. Be careful not to fall into that trap; as someone who's been around games since the Atari 2600, let me assure you - these are some fantastic graphics.

No comments: