Friday, February 01, 2008

Winner of the Console Wars - My Bookshelf!

Another Friday without any chance of scoring a Nintendo Wii anywhere. Which means that I take my spending money down to the downtown Borders bookstore. The store is closing for good at 6pm on Saturday, so everything in the place is 40% off. I walked out with another eight books, from literature classics like To Kill a Mockingbird, to current politics, to the 2007 anthology of American science writing.

So, its' really a win-win for me. It's only a loss for Nintendo, who apparantly doesn't care at all about winning new customers. They're perfectly happy to turn me away, and frankly, at this point in the game, I just don't care.*


*It's here that I should add that I'm fully aware of Nintendo's meek claims of being unable to meet global demand for the Wii. But the fact is that their production numbers - 1.8 million per month - haven't changed in ages. And that 1.8 million is for the entire globe; broken down into the three major markets, us Americans only get 600,000 every four weeks. That's just abysmal, and there's no damned excuse.

No comments: