Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book Project Update - Videogames of the Damned, Daniel Thomas Vol 4

I wanted to share with everyone the latest news on my ongoing book project. I know I've been promising and threatening to publish for the past year or so, but it's really only now that I felt that I had enough material to go to the printers.

In fact, I'm pretty well convinced that I have too much! Too much for one book, at least. So I've decided to publish two seperate books! As with before, these books contain my writings from this blog, as well as my main website, DanielThomas.org. I'm adding everything to Word right now, where I'll then print up and edit, and see what changes need to be made, if any.

Videogames of the Damned is book #1. This will focus on the videogames writings from the blog of the same name, as well as my old game reviews from the main website.

I have the perfect cover for this book - the album cover from Black Sabbath's Master of Reality. All I need now is to find someone who can properly design the cover. Master of Reality accurately sums up the vibe of this book as well. It's heavy and dense and tightly focused. This is also my great manifesto for video game journalism. At least, that's my goal.

Daniel Thomas Vol. 4 will be book #2. As you can guess, I'm drawing from Sabbath's fourth album for inspiration, and the cover will be a direct homage. Also, I think it's pretty funny to title your second book, "Vol 4." Again, I'll most likely need the aid of some skilled graphic designers to design the cover. But I know exactly what I want, so this isn't a problem.

Vol 4 will stretch out a little, again like the Sabs did. Included are my movie reviews (including, at this moment, at least, my Studio Ghibli film reviews), the Videogame Classics essays, my posts and essays on music, the political rants, and most likely the writings about the old videogame fanzine scene of the '90s. I'm not fully decided on that last point. I may put the zine posts in VOTD, but it probably works better here, since I'll be writing about the death of Sean Pettibone.

I'm still collecting all my writings to see just what I'm working with, but I really do have a lot. I'm really impressed by this. A lack of material has been holding me back forever, and it's the reason my "No War 4 Empire" project stalled. I think these books are very solid, and a good length.

Of course, I'll continue to write new posts here on the blog, and those may or may not be included in the books. I still want to write a little more on the Atari Lynx, and maybe Sega Dreamcast. We'll see. I want this project finished and ready to send to Lulu.com before my birthday on April 15. If I could have a finished book in my hands on my birthday, that would be absolutely perfect.

Stay tuned, kids. Watch this space.

No comments: