Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Todd's Adventures in Slime World - Some Screenshots

 
 

Here are some screenshots from another one of my all-time favorite videogames, Todd's Adventures in Slime World, designed by Epyx for the Atari Lynx.  It's atmospheric, underground caverns were endlessly pulsing, gurgling, breathing.  There was nothing else like it before or since, and it's a smashing great time.

The gameplay of Slime World essentially beat Super Metroid to the punch by several years, yet the focus is squarely on exploration and survival.  The most legendary feature is multiplayer deathmatch for up to eight players.  There were a lot of deathmatch games on Lynx, and all of which predated Doom.  Too bad everyone else you knew had Gameboys.  Multiplayer Lynx remains of the lost Holy Grails of video games.

I can't remember if I posted these screenshots years ago, but I've always been proud of them.  They were snapped on the Handy emulator on my PC.

No comments: