Sunday, January 17, 2010

Photos - Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master





Shinobi 3 on the Genesis was a spectacular action game, and remains so today. When I see the breathtaking 2009 Muramasa on Nintendo Wii, I'm immediately reminded of Revenge of Shinobi and its sequel. Like Super Metroid, this represents a standard of 2D video games that showed room for growth, only to be entirely abandoned in the rush towards 3D polygon graphics.

We've had enough time with the modern polygon era to judge these decisions more fairly. I believe games have made astonishing leaps in the past 15 years, since the arrival of Sony Playstation. Many new and innovative video games have been created, and the artform has never been better. But for all these gains, much has been lost, and the spectacular success of New Super Mario Bros proves there is still a demand for classic, 2D arcade games.

I believe the next Metroid and Zelda should be 2D. Sega should also follow suit with Sonic and Shinobi. To hell with these $30 movie-games. I want video-games. And I'm not the only one.

No comments: