Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Photos - California Games (1989)






Epyx's California Games became the pack-in game for the Atari Lynx when it launched in 1989.

Of the four events, only skateboarding is a miss. The other three events - BMX Bike, Surfing, Hacky Sack - continue to be far more addicting and fun than any reasonable adult should admit. I don't think I can write anything more about the game. It was a lot of fun on my Lynx 20 years ago, and it's a lot of fun running on the Handy emulator on my PC today.

Personally, I'd still rather play California Games on an actual Lynx. I've always wanted to see what multiplayer was like, and thanks to poor sales, hardly any Lynx owners ever got the chance to find out. Apparantly, you could knock the other surfers out of the water in Surfing. 4-Player surfing deathmatch?! How did we miss out on this?!

If you get yourself a Lynx from Ebay, be sure to get this game. You'll make all the other 30-somethings jealous.

No comments: