Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mega Man 10 Coming to WiiWare



You really have to have grown up with early 1980s video games to appreciate cover artwork like this.  It's so perfectly cheesy and retro, a throwback to the days when games were made by a single person, usually a teenager or early twentysomething.

I haven't downloaded Mega Man 9 yet, but I enjoyed the return to the original 8-bit style which is where the series was at its best.  I never really could enjoy all the 16-bit sequels and spinoffs; Capcom never succeeded in capturing that perfect feel of Mega Man 2 and 3, and when the Super Nintendo arrived, they never even tried.  The whole series was burned out by then.

I know I'm being a bit greedy, but I do hope the designers of Mega Man 10 create some good graphics.  There's "retro" for the sake of kitsch, deliberately cheap and simple, and then there's "retro," where the color and brilliance of NES-era games truly shine.  Mega Man 2 still has excellent graphics as far as I'm concerned.  It's just a matter of knowing how best to use your limited supply of paints.

In any case, the cover artwork is terrific.  Makes me wanna throw on some old Van Halen records and rock out.

No comments: