Monday, August 16, 2010

Photos - Donkey Kong


Donkey Kong may still be the greatest Nintendo video game ever made.  The visual design is exquisite, and the way this world fits so perfectly....it really was unique among early 1980s arcade games.  Shigueru Miyamoto's education in design shines on every stage, and he was forever joined at the hip with the hero, Mario.  And, of course, this is an endlessly challenging and fun game.  Donkey Kong is a standard of the Arcade Games Era.

Thirty years ago, I never could have imagined that Nintendo would completely dominate the video game world, or that Atari and all of their peers would be dead, or that the classic arcade values would become corrupted and lost in the mad rush for overpowered computer graphics.  I think that's why I'm a strong supporter of the Wii.  I want to see those arcade values restored, in the new Social Games Era.

Now where the heck is Donkey Kong on the Virtual Console?  Don't give me the crummy NES version.  Everyone knows the best home version was on the Atari 800.  Now that I think about it, where the heck is Atari Interactive?!

No comments: