Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I Have New Books Coming Soon!


Good News, Everyone! I have three new books coming out this year! I'm not sure if anyone is still around to be reading this, but I wanted to share my current plans with you. Each of these books are based on my writings on this site, with heavy revisions, rewrites and expansions, and I'm very excited to share them with you.

Right now, I am planning to move my family from Minneapolis to Chicago, so my money is being saved up for that. Hopefully, I will be able to find a good apartment and a new job, and will then be able to hire cover and layout designers to finish these book projects. Expect this to happen this year.

Now here are my new books:

Zen Arcade: Classic Video Game Reviews - A collection of 140 classic videogame reviews for NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, NEC Turbografx-16 and SNK Neo-Geo. These are based on my review column for the Virtual Console service on Nintendo Wii. These new essays have been almost entirely rewritten, updated and expanded to reflect current trends and my current moods. I'm really excited to see how this book is received. At least two more books in the series are planned, as I wanted to cover every game released on the various Virtual Console platforms.

Pop Life - An anthology of essays on all aspects of popular culture: film and television, music and audio, videogames, current events, and the joys and sorrows of life. These essays began as online articles on various websites, including this one, and now they're all collected together in one double-album volume (120,000+ words). Everything has been revised and expanded, as well. This book is more personal for me, and captures a writing style that I've pursued since my high school days.

Greatest Hits - A "greatest hits" anthology of chapters from four of my books, including Zen Arcade and Pop Life. Also included are two book projects that are still in production, Videogame Classics (reviews of the greatest videogames of all time) and Conversations on Ghibli (essays on the films of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata). The e-book edition will be "perma-free" on Amazon and similar vendors, and also given as a free gift to everyone who joins my mailing list.

In addition to all of this, I am also building my own indie publishing label, DT Media. A website will follow, which is likely where this blog will migrate. Ghibli Blog, my other website, will continue at its current home, and I'm very busy everyday on Facebook and Twitter.

So, anyway, those are my current happenings. Oh, and I also worked on the DVD and Blu-Ray of Horus, Prince of the Sun, wrote essays for a two Studio Ghibli books in Spain, contributed to a Time Out London article, and wrote essays for a Lupin the 3rd DVD set. Whew.

No comments: