Sunday, March 14, 2010

Virtual Console Review - Double Dungeons


Double Dungeons - NCS for Turbografx-16 - 3/10

Double Dungeons was one of many dungeon-crawlers that were somehow popular on home computers back in the 1980s.  I never understood the appeal and always believed these were the ultimate nerd video game.  It's the kind of game that separates the ordinary computer nerd from the super-nerd.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you ever play one of these dungeon crawlers, start to finish, you're certain to die a virgin.

I'm not going to give Double Dungeons a lower score than a 3, since there really isn't anything broken with the game.  The controls are responsive and the screen is easy enough to read.  There is even a two-player option, hence the name, even though you and your friend never interact with one another.  This just isn't any fun.  It was boring in the '80s, and it's even more boring today.

I've told myself to get back to writing these Virtual Console reviews, but I'm having a difficult time finding the inspiration to write long, epic essays like I could in 2007 and 2008.  Perhaps it would help if I had some good games to play.  I make it a personal rule to sit down and play the video games I write about, but with a dreary dud like Ghoul Patrol and Double Dungeons, it's really hard to keep the interest for more than five minutes.  Life is short and I don't want to squander my precious time on something so useless.

Video games should be fun and entertaining.  If a game isn't doing that, do not waste your time.  Toss it away and spend your precious time on something else.  Do not waste your time.

No comments: