Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Asuka 120% Burning Fest Limited on Sega Saturn



I couldn't resist tracking down this new gameplay video of Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited (whew!), one of the very best 2D fighting games for the Sega Saturn.  I wrote about this game back in 2007, when I discovered it after scoring my third Saturn.  Now it's 2010, and I'm looking for my fourth.

Asuka 120% has a dedicated, if small, fan following, as the series migrated from the FM Towns to PC Engine to Playstation and Saturn.  The Saturn version, Burning Fest. Limited, is generally considered the series' best.  This is a smart and frantic fighter, full of those insane 30-hit combos that skilled players love to pull off.  The combo and parry system has actually influenced other fighting games, such as the Guilty Gear series.

I still wish the backgrounds were animated, but the software studio that created this series was very small, and I think they did an excellent job, probably as good a job as was possible.  Don't kid yourself that this all-girl anime fighter is a pushover.  Asuka 120% BFL will challenge any brawler out there, and give you a serious run for your money.  This is one of the Saturn's true hidden gems.

No comments: