Sunday, July 09, 2017

Art Gallery: I've Got a Party in My Pants, and You're Invited


I've Got a Party in My Pants, and You're Invited (2000)
Watercolors on canvas, 18" x 24"

This is a really good piece. I like the colors and composition a lot, and the creative/destructive energy of it all. Here are my notes from my old art site in 2003, including the backstory:

"Now, don't go throwing that title around at the nightclubs, or you may get hurt. Of course, if you do use it as a pick-up line and it works, be sure to let me know.

"For the life of me, I can't remember where I found the title. I keep thinking I heard it in a Madonna parody, maybe Medusa: Dare to be Truthful, but then again, maybe I thought it up myself. It's just a dumb, goofy phrase that doesn't take itself too seriously. Which, in a sense, is a deliberate move on my part, You see that a lot in my paintings over the years. It's my way to taking some of the air out of the tires.

"This painting is somewhat unique in that I achieved this look by destroying the original version. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, your watercanvas painting will just end up looking like a puddle of mush. So I took it outside and threw a couple buckets of water at it. Yes, I'm pretty physical with this junk.

"The great thing is that I ended up with something on my canvas that looked far better. Fortunately, I usually use a ton of paint when working on canvas, so there's going to be a lot left alongside the mess. And, miraculously, there weren't any of those awful "paint drips" that annoy me so much. That dripping paint look so common in abstract art is a major peeve of mine. To me, it just smacks of rigid amateurism."

No comments: