Saturday, July 08, 2017

Art Gallery: "Starbucks Series" Part 1





"Starbucks Series" (2002)
Markers and pens on paper, 8.5" x 11"

These are a series of abstract sketches I created in 2002 while working at a Starbucks in downtown Minneapolis. The pages were originally used as inventory checklists when we needed to stock up on daily supplies. My imagination and creativity oftentimes ran away with me. I don't recall if these were created while at work or later at home. Most likely a little of both.

Thematically, common topics for these pieces included daily affairs at the Starbucks, the 9/11 terrorist attacks, city skylines, and various pop culture references including movies and videogames. Graffiti art and modern abstraction, as always, were my main inspirations.

I do wish I had created more of these, but this style, which began with my fanzine days of the early 1990s, evolved into the "B-Sides" of my paintings, and continues into the Desk Calendar series of today. These pieces hold up very well - "Mac Da Knife" if probably my favorite.

No comments: