Wednesday, June 16, 2010

E3 - Wii Party





Wii Party is the latest installment in Nintendo's flagship Wii series, and fans of Mario Party should be thrilled, because it's very, very similar.  Heavens knows there are far too many party mini-games on the Wii, but this series has been outstanding from start to finish, and I expect nothing less from Nintendo.

There seems to be a strong emphasis on novel uses for the Wiimote, and that's a relief to see in 2010, when it seems as though the Wiimote's possibilities have been exhausted.  I expect Wii Party to deliver a few surprises, and keep me more physically engaged that I otherwise would be with Mario Party.  I also strongly suspect this game will be even better with shot glasses passed around...hehe hehe.... This could be the drinking game of the year.  Or it could wind up being a dud.  You never know about these things.

I was contemplating what it was about the Wii series (Wii Sports, Play, Fit, and Music) that I enjoy so much.  Then the realization hit me - these are Atari 2600 games.  No doubt that's something that more hardcore gamers would sneer at, and goodness knows these are the Nintendo games they love to hate, but it's that classic and iconic approach that attracts me.  I miss Atari games.  I really enjoy multiplayer arcade games.  And I'm so very tired of first-person-shooters.

Anyway, here are the only two Wii Party videos I could find on Youtube.  There aren't any gameplay videos yet, and there probably won't be.  The hardcore gamers have their attention directed elsewhere.  Don't let that bother you.  If the prozines slag on a Nintendo Wii game, that usually means it's good.  Let's hope for some really nasty reviews.

No comments: