Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pro-Ject Debut III - My Complete System










Long overdue for some new photos of my stereo system, which I've been posting at the Steve Hoffman forums. Back in March I bought a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable for $300. It was a major upgrade over the portable $99 Numark table I had before, a serious upgrade into the world of hi-fi music. I became dissatisfied with the stock Debut unit, but thanks to the advice of the crew at Needle Doctor (located at the University of Minnesota campus), I made some necessary upgrades. Each upgrade made the table sound better and better. Now the fully upgraded system sounds quite excellent.

True, this is an entry-level turntable, but you would have to be a real curmudgeon to not be impressed with the music coming out of your speakers. Which means that analog nirvana is available to the average person, without having to spend a thousand dollars for the table.

At this point, I would recommend the Pro-Ject Debut III for anyone who wants to discover or rediscover the world of vinyl records. You will need these upgrades to get the most out of your system, but the payoffs are definite and immediate. Best yet, each addition to your system can be bought in installments. It took me two months to buy all these extra parts.

So enjoy the photos of the Debut III system, with all the upgrades: Speed Box II, Tube Box II, acrylic platter, and Denon DL-160 cartridge.

No comments: