Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Wii Music Songs - Ode to Joy



I quickly wrote this thrash assault on Beethoven's Ode to Joy. It's something I've been scheming and practicing in my head for a week, and I'm thrilled that it came together.

This "Metallica" version of Wii Music features Cliff Burton on drums, bass, rhythm and melody. Tempo is set to "5." A few retakes on bass and drums was all I needed to find that great opening, and then the drums go crazy, heh heh. The fastest tempo setting enabled the drum sound I wanted. I don't have a Balance Board, so precise drumming is harder.

As you can see, I have a lot more fun completely tearing the Wii Music songs apart and creating entirely new mutants. The incredible depth in arrangements and improvisation enables this, and it's revolutionary for music games. Don't like the song selection? Create your ow

Playing and creating songs in Wii Music is much harder than it appears. This isn't the simplistic button presses of Guitar Hero. You need to practice, you need to communicate with your bandmates, and you have to know what you're doing.

I shot these videos with my digital camera, pointed at the old tv set in the dark. It's cheap and old-fashioned, yes, but it gets the job done.

No comments: