Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever - Mono



Strawberry Fields Forever is a completely different song in mono.  Not because of any major compositional changes, but because of the heavy cohesion to the sound.  Everything sounds so much better when mixed together for one speaker.  This song feels druggy, dreamy, surreal in a way that doesn't come through in the stereo version.

But watch out for that ending!  It's positively frightening in the original mono.  Where the stereo mix had a playful feel in the outro, the mono mix is menacing.  I feel like I'm being assaulted.  John Lennon had a masterful way of capturing the darker, nightmarish side of the psychedelic trip - the denizens of the unconscious are unleashed in a fearful avalanche.

The mono version of this song scares me.  I'm serious.  Put on your headphones, crank up the volume, and turn out the lights.  I double dare ya.

No comments: