Monday, June 15, 2009

Absolutely Free

Vaclav Havel offers his advice and support to the people of Iran:

Havel: [I would tell them that] I sympathize with them, that I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them and I would advise them not to fall prey to skepticism if they do not achieve immediate results in spite of their efforts. These efforts are important in and of themselves because there is virtue in working for a good cause. And these efforts can pay off later, God knows when, God knows how. But you cannot time it. That, at least, is our experience.


The title to the post refers to the second album by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. Zappa was a great source of inspiration to Havel and the democratic underground in Czechoslavakia, enough so that Havel gave him an honorary ambassadorship once he became President.

No comments: