Monday, June 15, 2009

Manifesto of the Green Revolution

This comes from Sullivan again. I feel like I should just print a giant arrow towards his blog in the links, and say, "Go Here." Hopefully, I've been successful in providing some useful aid of my own. Anyway, he has another fantastic scoop, one I'm sure we're all going to parse for a while.

The manifesto.

Now, I don't know where this came from, who composed it, or who it claims to speak for. The final motives of the masses remain the greatest mystery box in this mushroom kingdom. I do believe that this movement has blossomed into a new phase today. The numbers are growing from hundreds to thousands to hundreds of thousands. These are the ways that governments topple. And as time goes on and the people continue to stand in the streets of Iran's cities, chanting and singing on the rooftops, the stakes grow higher. Whether revolution was intended or even wanted is becoming irrelevant. Revolution has become thrust upon us all. Revolution in the age of the internet has arrived, we are all players on the stage, there are no mere spectators. Passivity has been extinguished in the flash of a text message and cell phone click.

Which brings us to this manifesto. I've thought about its meaning all night long, and I hope it becomes a reality. I make no bones about my desire to see the Islamic Republic fall. I think Iran deserves to take back their long lost democracy. Any resolution to the current crisis that keeps the current power structure in power will have failed. The entire rotten fascist system must be overthrown.

Again, that is my own personal hope. I'm sure many of you share this hope. But that will ultimately be the responsibility of the Iranian people themselves. That said, let's take a look at the Green Revolution Manifesto:

1. Remove Khamenei from supreme leader because he doesn't qualify as a fair supreme leader.

2. Remove Ahmadinejad from president because he took it forcefully and unlawfully.

3. Put Ayatollah Montazeri as supreme leader until a review group for the ghanooneh asasi ("constitution") is set up.

4. Recognize Mousavi as the official president.

5. A government by Mousavi and start a reform of the constitution.

6. Free all political prisoners without andy ifs ands or buts, right away.

7. Call off any secret organization such as "gasht ershad."

No comments: