Thursday, October 16, 2008

Be Nice to Joe The Plummer

I've been thinking about this for a while today, and I don't think it's right for people to pile on Joe. This is not a GOP operative. This is just an ordinary American who, somehow, ends up being name-dropped by John McCain every 30 seconds. And, as a consequence, he has hit upon his 15 minutes of fame.

For me, this whole episode was so hilarious because it was so implausibly absurd. I just assumed that "Joe The Plummer" was some fiction created by McCain. This is pretty common in political speeches, actually. It was just so funny to see McCain constantly bring up Joe The Plummer. Good grief, you'd think he was having second thoughts about picking Sarah Palin as his VP.

Then we find out there really is a Joe, who is a real plummer. Weird.

I had a previous post where I linked to the article in today's NY Times. But I'll take it down. Thinking about it, I really don't want to hurt this man, or treat him like he's one of the stupid politicians running the country. He has his faults and foibles like the rest of us.

I do honestly think, however, that Joe The Plummer should get himself an agent. He should turn this into a real celebrity run. Heck, we've had Jared The Subway Guy for, what, 40 years now? I think Jared is in his 60s now. Given our instant-gratification internet culture, why not take advantage of his sudden fame? Win or lose, it's back to normal life before the spring returns. This is Joe's shot at the American Dream.

No comments: